While serving as the new industry standard for device authentication, identity management, payment processing, and cryptocurrency transactions for Web 3.0, WebAuth.com is also a non-custodial cryptocurrency wallet - meaning the private keys are stored locally on your device. Due to the non-custodial nature, we cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your WebAuth.com account secure.
To find and access your private key, follow these steps:
- Click on the Settings icon on the far right
- Click ‘Backup Wallet’
- Type out "I will never give my private key to anyone else"
- Your private key will be presented here
⚠️ Proton staff will never ask you for your Private Key. Sharing your Private Key will allow a 3rd Party or Malicious Actor to unlock access to all of your funds. We will not be able to recover lost funds.
We strongly recommend writing down your private key and keep it somewhere physically safe. Here are some secure ways to backup your private key:
- Secure offline storage such as a physical note pad or encrypted USB Memory Stick (store in a safe place)
- An air-gapped device such as a hardware wallet (recommended)
- Password Manager with 2FA and encryption
⚠️ Proton staff cannot see or recover your Private Key. If you do not write it down, you will not be able to restore access to your WebAuth.com mobile account and your funds will be permanently lost.